Shore Road public space, buildings & facilities
Last updated 20th April 2020
Started September 2019, anticipated completion spring 2020 subject to COVID-19 working restrictions
As a major gateway for people visiting Poole Beaches, this project at Shore Road offers the opportunity to create a greater sense of arrival and welcome to the area.
We’re creating an attractive plaza that visitors can enjoy and that signifies Shore Road’s importance as the starting point of the promenade around Poole Bay.
On 2nd September we started work to refresh the public space by modernising the buildings and worn ground conditions. This work is described below:
New Plaza at Shore Road
- Enhanced public area and seating, improved signage
- Refurbished toilets and showers
- New beach office, new watersports centre, and extended catering kiosk
- New and modernised beach huts
Works progress gallery Latest pictures 20th April 2020
22nd March 2020
2nd March 2020
13th January 2020
17th October-12th November
Also happening here:
New Beach Huts at Shore Road East
- Six standard and 2 premier beach huts will be built as a first floor extension above the existing beach huts (nos 73-84) which will also be refurbished
- Further details and progress pictures at the Shore Road East project page
Frequently Asked Questions
What will the works cost?
The plaza works at Shore Road and new beach huts at Shore Road East will cost approximately £900,000 and be funded by BCP Council and a grant from the Coastal Communities Fund
When will these works take place?
Site work began in September 2019 and we hope to complete works during spring 2020, subject to COVID-19 working restrictions. Regular updates will be posted on site and on our website.
What times will the building site operate?
Monday - Friday from 7.30am - 6pm. Weekend working will be subject to approval.
Can I still use the prom during the works?
Yes, access along the prom will continue, although it will be narrower in width to allow for the building works. There may be short periods of time when the prom will be temporarily closed for example during a delivery.
Will the toilets remain open during the refurbishment?
While the toilet block is refurbished we will provide temporary units.
How can I contact the Beach Rangers Office during the works?
Telephone: 01202 708181
Why are you building new beach huts?
There are a significant number of people on the waiting list for a beach hut in this area; these new huts will help to meet this demand and reduce waiting time.
Updated November 2018 and submitted with the issue of tender for construction. Proposals include public art, seating, resurfacing, refurbished toilets & showers, two new short-term hire beach huts, a new beach office, watersports centre and catering kiosk.
Proposed Site Plan
Existing Floor Plan & Elevations
Proposed Plan & Elevations
Thank you to everyone who shared their views with the Design Team at the engagement drop in day, via this website or at the comments box at Sandbanks Beach Office.
Your feedback helped the Design Team to shape the final designs represented in the updated plans (above) and a tender for construction based on those plans. Here’s a summary of how your feedback has influenced the project:
|Main concerns highlighted during public engagement:||How this feedback has been used to shape the final designs:|
Size of the club room
Increased size of facilities accessible to clubs
|Provide separate male & female changing rooms||Changed from unisex to separate male & female changing rooms|
|Sheltered seating with a back rest||Moved sheltered seating to south facing view and added back rests to plaza seating|
|Suitable planting||Added planting|
|Location and number of cycle racks||Improved cycle facilities|
|Improved beach shower(s) with taps||Increased shower provision|
- September 2019 Works started on site 2nd September
- July 2019 Stepnell Ltd appointed as contractor
- November 2018 Tender for construction issued
- 26th September 2018 Planning Permission granted
- August 2018 – formal consultation Planning Application APP/18/01039/F was made available online at https://boppa.poole.gov.uk/online-applications with comments invited by 8th September.
- May & June 2018 – public engagement The proposed plans were shared with stakeholders and residents with feedback helping to shape the Planning Application submitted in August.
April 2018 The new ice cream kiosk is now open at the Beach Station. The Ranger Service will operate from a temporary base at Shore Road during 2018, prior to a permanent office opening in spring 2019.
- February 2018 Planning permission was granted in February 2018 for Change of Use of the Beach Station to Ice Cream Kiosk (Planning Application APP/17/01898/F for details).
- February 2018 Scottish & Southern Electricity completed works to improve the power supply to Shore Road.
February 2018 Simon Morgan of Morgan Design Studio was appointed to look at architectural design improvements to the existing buildings at Shore Road to reinvigorate this area. Our design brief included finding creative solutions to operational issues such as waste collection.
The beach and promenade in 2018
Improving the welcome to Poole Seafront 06 September 2019
- Shore Road scheme takes a step forward 10 July 2019
- Recommendation on cliff works to be submitted to cabinet 25 January 2019
- Pop along and comment on proposed improvements at Branksome Chine 24th August 2018
- Super size seashells delight families at Flaghead Chine 30th July 2018
- Comment on proposals to improve Shore Road Promenade 12th June 2018
- Artist Commissioned to design new public spaces for Shore Road and Branksome Chine, Poole 12th February 2018