Shore Road public space, buildings & facilities
Last updated 12th April 2019
Construction planned for autumn/winter 2019
As a major gateway for people visiting Poole Beaches, this project at Shore Road offers the opportunity to create a greater sense of arrival and welcome to the area by:
- Creating an attractive plaza that visitors can enjoy and that signifies Shore Road’s importance as the starting point of the promenade around Poole Bay.
- Enhancing public spaces & facilities including a water sports concession and a new ice cream kiosk which will sell drinks and snacks such as sandwiches & paninis. It will open seasonally from 9am – 7pm.
- Improving the external appearance of existing buildings such as the public toilets & Beach Station; the Beach Ranger Service will operate from a temporary beach office at Shore Road in 2018, prior to a permanent office opening in early 2020.
- Developing/refurbishing the standard of beach huts in this area.
The Proposed Plans
Updated November 2018 and submitted with the issue of tender for construction. Proposals include public art, seating, resurfacing, refurbished toilets & showers, two new short-term hire beach huts, a new beach office, watersports centre and catering kiosk.
Thank you to everyone who shared their views with the Design Team at the engagement drop in day, via this website or at the comments box at Sandbanks Beach Office.
Your feedback helped the Design Team to shape the final designs represented in the updated plans (above) and a tender for construction based on those plans. Here’s a summary of how your feedback has influenced the project:
|Main concerns highlighted during public engagement:||How this feedback has been used to shape the final designs:|
Size of the club room
Increased size of facilities accessible to clubs
|Provide separate male & female changing rooms||Changed from unisex to separate male & female changing rooms|
|Sheltered seating with a back rest||Moved sheltered seating to south facing view and added back rests to plaza seating|
|Suitable planting||Added planting|
|Location and number of cycle racks||Improved cycle facilities|
|Improved beach shower(s) with taps||Increased shower provision|
- November 2018 Tender for construction issued
- 26th September 2018 Planning Permission granted
- August 2018 – formal consultation Planning Application APP/18/01039/F was made available online at https://boppa.poole.gov.uk/online-applications with comments invited by 8th September.
- May & June 2018 – public engagement The proposed plans were shared with stakeholders and residents with feedback helping to shape the Planning Application submitted in August.
April 2018 The new ice cream kiosk is now open at the Beach Station. The Ranger Service will operate from a temporary base at Shore Road during 2018, prior to a permanent office opening in spring 2019.
February 2018 Planning permission was granted in February 2018 for Change of Use of the Beach Station to Ice Cream Kiosk (Planning Application APP/17/01898/F for details).
- February 2018 Scottish & Southern Electricity completed works to improve the power supply to Shore Road.
February 2018 Simon Morgan of Morgan Design Studio was appointed to look at architectural design improvements to the existing buildings at Shore Road to reinvigorate this area. Our design brief included finding creative solutions to operational issues such as waste collection.
Recommendation on cliff works to be submitted to cabinet 25 January 2019
- Pop along and comment on proposed improvements at Branksome Chine 24th August 2018
- Super size seashells delight families at Flaghead Chine 30th July 2018
- Comment on proposals to improve Shore Road Promenade 12th June 2018
- Artist Commissioned to design new public spaces for Shore Road and Branksome Chine, Poole 12th February 2018
Have Your Say
Poole Beaches online
For regular beach news & updates