Shore Road East new & refurbished beach huts
Last updated 21st January 2020
Started September 2019
As a major gateway for people visiting Poole Beaches, the project at Shore Road and Shore Road East offers the opportunity to create a greater sense of arrival and welcome to the area. The work includes:
New Beach Huts at Shore Road East
- Six standard and 2 premier beach huts will be built as a first floor extension above the existing beach huts (nos 73-84) which will also be refurbished
Works progress gallery Latest pictures 13th January 2020
25th September-12th November 2019
Approved beach hut designs, Shore Road East (Nos. 73-84)
Download the plans (PDF, 4Mb)
Also happening here:
New Plaza at Shore Road
- Enhanced public area and seating, refurbished toilets and showers, new beach office and more …
- Further details and progress pictures at the Shore Road project page
Frequently Asked Questions
What will the works cost?
The plaza works at Shore Road and new beach huts at Shore Road East will cost approximately £900,000 and be funded by BCP Council and a grant from the Coastal Communities Fund
When will these works take place?
Site work began in September 2019 and we hope to complete works during February 2020. Regular updates will be posted on site and on our website.
What times will the building site operate?
Monday - Friday from 7.30am - 6pm. Weekend working will be subject to approval.
Can I still use the prom during the works?
Yes, access along the prom will continue, although it will be narrower in width to allow for the building works. There may be short periods of time when the prom will be temporarily closed for example during a delivery.
Will the toilets remain open during the refurbishment?
While the toilet block is refurbished we will provide temporary units.
How can I contact the Beach Rangers Office during the works?
Telephone: 01202 708181
Why are you building new beach huts?
There are a significant number of people on the waiting list for a beach hut in this area; these new huts will help to meet this demand and reduce waiting time.
Existing beach huts at Shore Road East
- September 2019 Works started on site 2nd September
- July 2019 Stepnell Ltd appointed as contractor
- November 2018 Tender for construction issued
- June 2018 Planning permission granted (Application APP/18/00165/F) for a first floor extension of 6 standard and 2 premier beach huts and the refurbishment of 12 existing ground floor beach huts.
Funding BCP Council
Project Lead Anthony Rogers, Recreation Manager
Main contractor Stepnell Ltd
Improving the welcome to Poole Seafront 06 September 2019
- Shore Road scheme takes a step forward 10 July 2019
- Recommendation on cliff works to be submitted to cabinet 25 January 2019
- Pop along and comment on proposed improvements at Branksome Chine 24th August 2018
- Super size seashells delight families at Flaghead Chine 30th July 2018
- Comment on proposals to improve Shore Road Promenade 12th June 2018
- Artist Commissioned to design new public spaces for Shore Road and Branksome Chine, Poole 12th February 2018