Branksome Chine public space enhancements
Last updated 19th December 2019
Started September 2019
This project will:
- Create a more welcoming public plaza with improved surfacing and artistic features
- Improve the public toilets
- Enable the Land Train to bring visitors to the area with enhanced Land Train features and services
- Include improved way marking and signage
- Add new bench seating, with planters & trees to soften tarmac surfaces
Phase 2 - starting spring 2020
- Public toilets refurbishment
- New shower facilities installed next to beach office
Phase 3 - start date to be confirmed
- New bench seating and planting to soften the space where the car park meets the prom
Frequently Asked Questions
What will the works cost?
The works will cost up to £180,000 and be funded by BCP Council and a grant from the Coastal Communities Fund
When will these works take place?
Work will be carried out in three phases;
- Phase 1: completed December 2019 – improved level access to the public toilets, shop & kiosk; Land Train turning area formalised with a paved stone circle.
- Phase 2: starting spring 2020 – public toilets to be refurbished; new shower facilities to be installed next to the beach office.
- Phase 3: start date to be confirmed – new bench seating and planting to soften the space where the car park meets the promenade.
Regular updates will be posted on site and here on our website
What times will the building site operate?
Monday – Friday from 7.30am – 5pm. Weekend working will be subject to approval.
Can I still use the prom during the works?
Yes, access along the prom will continue, although it will be narrower in width to allow for the building works. There may be short periods of time when the prom will be temporarily closed for example during a delivery and resurfacing.
Will the toilets remain open during the refurbishment?
During the works we need to close one side of the toilets at a time. The remaining toilets will temporarily become unisex facilities. The completed toilets will revert to separate male and female facilities. If you would like some assistance to access the disabled toilet, please speak to one of the site team.
Will the car park spaces stay the same?
During the works will need to temporarily adjust some car park spaces to allow for works traffic and the site compound.
How can I contact the Beach Rangers Office during the works?
Telephone: 01202 708181
Will beach hut tenants be affected by the works?
Beach hut tenants will be contacted directly by the Beach Hut team with information relevant to their hut.
September 2019 Started works on site, Phase 1
February 2019 The Land Train from Bournemouth Pier will now visit Branksome Chine following a successful trial and public feedback during summer 2018. The new design includes an improved turning circle for the train and softer landscaping. Land Train Timetable & Ticket Prices
Winter 2018/19 Building surveys of the public toilet for improvements plans and investment in pumping station
- August – September 2018 Landscaping improvement proposals were made available for public comment at a drop-in event at Branksome Chine on Wednesday 15th August. The plans were then made available to view & for comments, at Sandbanks Beach Office and online, until 12th September. All feedback was then reviewed by the Design Team.
- May 2018 Works to create a turning circle for the Land Train were completed in February, and in May we started the new transport service trial with the train now visiting Branksome Chine.
- The Arts Development Company together with Dorset Coast Forum and Borough of Poole have appointed local landscape artist Amanda Moore to design the new public space (press release February 2018).
Budget Up to £180,000
Funding Coastal Communities Fund
Project Lead Anthony Rogers, Recreation Manager
Improving the welcome to Poole Seafront 06 September 2019
- Shore Road scheme takes a step forward 10 July 2019
- Recommendation on cliff works to be submitted to cabinet 25 January 2019
- Pop along and comment on proposed improvements at Branksome Chine 24th August 2018
- Super size seashells delight families at Flaghead Chine 30th July 2018
- Comment on proposals to improve Shore Road Promenade 12th June 2018
- Artist Commissioned to design new public spaces for Shore Road and Branksome Chine, Poole 12th February 2018